Fundraising top tips
Here are our top tips for making your fundraising event a success:
- Keep ideas simple – a quiz night or a football tournament can be very effective. See our Fundraising ideas page for more guidance.
- Decide when the event should be – will it clash with any other local or national event?
- Decide on a venue – do you need disabled access/good parking/transport links? See our page on Safety & Accessibility for more guidance.
- Set a fundraising target and an expenses budget.
- Plan the event carefully, working out a timetable and sticking to it.
- Ask friends and family to help and assign them specific tasks or responsibilities.
- Draw up a list of equipment and/or catering needs.
- Decide how you will publicise your event. See our page on Publicising your event and our download our social media toolkit for more guidance.
- Make sure you also create an online fundraising page and share it widely.
- Decide whether you need to have a bad weather plan.
- Check what safety and legal requirements there might be. See our page on Safety & Accessibility for more guidance.
- Ask local suppliers if they can donate supplies or goods, or provide discounts. Download our template letter for raffle prizes for more guidance.
- Approach your workplace to see if your company will match your fundraising total or make a contribution. See our page on match funding for guidance on how to do this.
- If you are collecting donations via cash or another means that does not involve JustGiving or Facebook Fundraisers, don’t forget to send us the funds you’ve raised when you’re finished! See our page on sending funds for more guidance. You are also free to use and photocopy our sponsorship form if you are collecting donations that way.